Tell you what, I have been waiting long enough (3months) to write this review. Hopefully I can be as fair as I can to share my own experience with GymPact~~~:)
A little disclaimer here: I have zero association with GymPact and have no intention to make any referral $ with it *_^
In case you have not heard/tried GymPact yet, GymPact is an iOS and Android app that aims to get you exercising on a more regular basis by paying you when you workout and penalizing you when you don’t. It’s the start-up of two Harvard students who took some concepts from behavioral economics class– mainly the idea that people are motivated more by not losing money than just by earning it – and applied it to fitness.
With Gympact you make a pact every week that involves committing to exercise on one or more days per week and agree to be fined between $5 to $50 if you miss your goal. At the end of each week, if you’ve completed your agreed number of workouts you’re rewarded from the pot of money collected from those who didn’t make their goal. The rewards, however, are only between $0.50 and $0.75 per workout.
If you are interested in more details, you can visit their website.
Without further ado, here are the pros and cons of GymPact based on my experience:
1) Flexible exercise form: you can run, workout in gym, workout at home/anywhere
2) Reward for workout: Don’t expect much though *_^ I’ve completed 50ish sessions with $13.5~~
3) Motivation for workout: well..I guess whether the app really helps motivate you will depend a lot on your own personality. For some it’ll work well, but I myself didn’t find it all that motivating. Perhaps because I exercise regularly anyway and therefore the rewards are quite small and hardly worth the hassle of using the app.
1) Constantly Delayed Weekly Report: I’ve never got rewarded on Tuesday as what they promised. I have to send a bug report every Friday to get my last week’s Gym$. I have no experience on how fast they process the “fine” though *_^
2)The basic: the difference between the heavy fines for not reaching your goals versus the light rewards when you do made the whole system feel like it wanted you to fail to make the owners richer! Seriously!!
3) It’s really easy to lose$$$: for example, if I commit 6 workouts/week, the chance for me to simply “forget” to “turn on” the app when I’m working out is really high. If I forget once, I’ll lose $5, if I forget twice, I’ll lose $10~~~
4) Motivation? Like what I mentioned earlier, I did not find it all that motivating. Perhaps because I exercise regularly anyway and therefore the rewards are quite small and hardly worth the hassle of using the app.
So, in conclusion, I tried it out as I was curious about any “fitness” related apps. Do I think this is an amazing killer app? Nope! GymPact may provide some with the motivation they need to stick with their fitness regime, but the high penalties for skipping session versus the smaller/always delayed rewards for achieving your goals make it feel like a bit bogus.
For those who has tried it also, I’d like to hear about your experience as well~~~! 🙂